August 19, 1991: Members of the State Committee on the State of Emergency announce their plan to halt the Gorbachev-Yeltsin counter-revolution in the Soviet Union.
Sadly, the Emergency Committee failed to call on the working class and oppressed to rally around the defense of socialism. Its efforts collapsed under imperialist pressure to protect Gorbachev and Yeltsin’s moves to destroy the USSR.
The eight members included:
- Gennady Yanayev (1937–2010), Vice President
- Valentin Pavlov (1937–2003), Premier
- Boris Pugo (1937–1991), Interior Minister
- Dmitry Yazov (b. 1924), Defense Minister and Marshal of the Soviet Union
- Vladimir Kryuchkov (1924–2007), Chairman of the KGB
- Oleg Baklanov (b. 1932), First Deputy Chairman of the Defense Council of the USSR
- Vasily Starodubtsev (1931–2011), Chairman of the Peasants’ Union of the USSR
- Alexander Tizyakov (b. 1926), President of the Association of State Enterprises
Pugo shot himself to avoid arrest, while the other seven members were arrested and tried.
- lenins-and-things reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism and added:
- leninsandthingsofficial liked this
- bandit1a reblogged this from fuckyeahmarxismleninism and added:
- bandit1a liked this