SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Real News Network is looking for an engagement editor to join our team of journalists and media makers. The Real News is a multi-media organization that produces original YouTube shows, podcasts, and text articles every week addressing a range of topics with the mission of amplifying the voices of people on the frontlines of grassroots social movements, in the US and beyond, and connecting audiences to the movements, people, and perspectives that are advancing the cause of a more just, equal, and livable planet.
We need someone who can work agilely and thoughtfully across our various productions to help us build not just a bigger audience for the different types of content we publish, but an audience that’s more engaged with our coverage and better equipped to use it to fight for a better world. Because of the nature of TRNN’s mission and the work we do, our focus on improving “engagement” is not limited to increasing raw pageviews, YouTube views, podcast downloads, newsletter subscribers, and donations; on top of these important performance metrics, we are looking to enhance our content’s ability to spark/advance crucial political discussions, connect people and struggles around the world to one another, help people to see themselves as stakeholders in the democratic struggle (and to be better informed and more committed participants in that struggle).
TRNN’s engagement editor will be someone who is an expert at figuring out how to make great content reach a larger audience across multiple channels. They will also be an expert at leveraging a whole range of social and digital platforms as tools for extending TRNN’s ability to interact more directly with audiences and for expanding the ability of readers, viewers, potential sources, etc. to engage with our content and our team. The ideal candidate thrives at multitasking and creative experimentation, and brings strong journalistic integrity and editorial judgment to everything they do.
We’re based in Baltimore, but this position could potentially be remote if the candidate is able to work seamlessly and responsively with the rest of our team during regular East Coast work hours. This is a full-time union position covered by our contract with the Washington-Baltimore NewsGuild-CWA.
- Write headlines, subheads, summary descriptions, keywords, photo captions, and other promotional copy, and choose and edit featured images, for approximately 15-20 pieces a week, adhering to TRNN’s Editorial Code of Ethics and optimizing promotional information for maximum reach, searchability, and audience engagement. Editorial guidance and approval will be provided by the Editor-in-Chief and/or Managing Editor.
- Work in collaboration with Social Media Manager to:
- make TRNN’s content more accessible across platforms by adapting/translating it into representative clips, segments, screenshots, tweet threads, excerpts, etc.; on limited occasions, this may also involve writing secondary text articles summarizing TRNN video/podcast content, which would be edited/approved through TRNN’s standard editorial process;
- make TRNN’s content/brand more visible across platforms by developing strategies for (1) reaching audiences that are more likely to engage with it and (2) targeting online spaces where TRNN content and staff can influence discussions about trending/breaking stories;
- develop and reinforce TRNN’s unique voice and grow the reach and impact of its social platforms and emailed newsletters;
- advise and assist individual team members with improving visibility for themselves, their work, and their social media presence/profile;
- develop, refine, and test methods for tracking impact of TRNN’s published content and increasing audience engagement with said content;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong writing and editing skills with careful attention to detail
- Strong abilities to write headlines and derivative publishing information that grabs audiences’ attention and faithfully represents the content being promoted while adhering to TRNN’s established, principled Editorial Code of Ethics
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a multi-faceted production team to meet structured deadlines and produce/promote high-quality content on a weekly basis
- Demonstrated experience producing multimedia content on/for different distribution platforms—including Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube—and increasing audience engagement with said content
- Basic video and photo editing skills; experience using Adobe Premiere is a plus
- Extensive knowledge of political and social issues, and the ability to efficiently and effectively follow and anticipate the news cycle from a left perspective
- Commitment to rigorous journalistic standards, grounded in facts and thoughtful analysis
- Expert knowledge of social media trends and best practices; understanding of SEO content strategies
- Ability to analyze key performance metrics
- Works well independently, as well as across and between multiple teams
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3+ years relevant experience
Salary range: $55,000 – $75,000. Includes generous medical benefits and a 3% employer match into a 403(b) retirement plan.
This is a union position covered by our contract with the Washington-Baltimore NewsGuild-CWA.
Send a cover letter, three relevant samples of writing or multimedia work, and a resume or CV to [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Real News is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTIQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.