Facing environmental breakdown and a global pandemic, the need for a radical overhaul of our economic system has never been clearer. But following Labour’s defeat in the 2019 general election, the route to winning the changes needed has looked more uncertain. What bold new proposals and policies should the left be making in these unprecedented times, and how can we win them in Britain?
- John McDonnell is the MP for Hayes and Harlington, and former Shadow Chancellor.
- James Meadway is an economist and Director of the Progressive Economy Forum. He is former economic policy advisor to shadow chancellor John McDonnell.
- Carolina Alves is a Joan Robinson Research Fellow in Heterodox Economics at Girton College at the University of Cambridge, a co-founder of Diversifying and Decolonising Economics D-Econ, and an editor of the Developing Economics blog. She a member of the Progressive Economy Forum Council.
- Antonia Jennings is Associate director at Centre for Local Economic Strategies.
- Matthew Brown is a Labour councillor and leader of Preston City Council.
Recorded 28 September 2021, at the World Transformed festival.